It was one thing to heal from those who hurt me. It was hard work and it took time. But when I did, it wasn’t over. The chapter wasn’t closed, because there was still one more section to write, titled: “Forgive Them.” Forgiving people who hurt you, in my summation, is very hard. Over the course of forgiving these people, some axioms developed in my heart. Here are a few of them:
- Forgiveness is my freedom worth fighting for.
- I’d rather walk through the fire of forgiveness than drown in a sea of bitterness.
- Forgiveness is a difficult path, but better is the one for taking it.
- You forgiving is you winning.
- You win when you forgive the one who who hurt you.
If you are working through forgiveness, it is not easy but it is not impossible. Do the work: cry, vent, pray for healing, get counseling, read books on forgiveness, pray for the one(s) who hurt you, worship God weekly at church, and journal verses about forgiveness. Do the work and you’ll finish this chapter. And a new chapter will begin. And you’ll be the better person for it.